During May first week, Idea VoLTE services were launched in six circles Maharashtra and Goa, MP and Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Later in that month Idea VoLTE was made available in nine more circles which include Mumbai, Karnataka, Punjab, Haryana, West Bengal, UP East, UP West, Bihar, Jharkhand and Rajasthan.
Activate Idea VoLTE on your smartphone
According to the official site, Idea says that VoLTE will be automatically activated on your device if you are in the list of supported VoLTE circles. It’s worth mentioning that having a VoLTE enabled handset will not allow you to access Idea VoLTE services until Idea activates for you automatically or you do it manually.
In order to enable Idea VoLTE services on your smartphone, you have send a SMS from your idea SIM as follows:
“ACT VOLTE to 12345 “
Many subscribers are complaining that the company rejects the application after sending the SMS. We contacted Idea Customer Service and were informed that VoLTE will only be activated if the smartphone is Idea VoLTE compatible. The list of smartphones are mentioned on Idea Cellular website.
When asked if Idea intends to support other VoLTE smartphones, they said it is possible only if the manufacturers pushes an update to their respective smartphones.
FAQ from Idea Cellular Website
What is VoLTE?
What is the difference between VoLTE and normal voice calling?
Do my VoLTE calls consume data from my data plan?
Will my normal voice calling still work after activating VoLTE?
Do I need to have an active data connection to use VoLTE?
Will I be able to use VoLTE if I switch off data on my SIM?
What all services are available through VoLTE?
- High Definition voice calling
- Faster call connection time – calls will connect faster in almost half the time it takes to connect on a 2G/3G network
- Seamless switch between Voice & Video calls during an ongoing call
- Simultaneously calling and data browsing at 4G speeds
- Along with above, call management services like call forwarding, call waiting, call hold and call line identification/restriction are also offered.
What are the benefits of VoLTE?
How can I identify a VoLTE call?
- Android users can see HD/VoLTE icon on the top bar of the screen, which indicates that their phone is ready for VoLTE calls. For iOS users there is no visual representation. However, they can verify VoLTE-readiness through the settings under mobile data.
- For iOS: Settings -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Data Options -> Enable 4G -> Turn on Voice & Data
- For Android: Settings -> Settings -> Mobile Network -> Turn on VoLTE call *These settings may differ from one handset manufacturer to another.
How do I know that my VoLTE is activated?
Does my phone support VoLTE calls? / How do I check if my phone supports VoLTE?
Do I need to make any changes in my device settings for enabling VoLTE?
1. Verify compatibility of your smartphone model with Idea VoLTE services (List of devices given in the above section)
2. Ensure that your handset has been upgraded with the latest software provided by your handset manufacturer
3. Ensure that you are using a 4G compatible SIM
4. Verify that the VoLTE voice calling feature has been enabled on your smartphone –
For iOS: Settings -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Data Options -> Enable 4G -> Turn on Voice & Data
For Android: Settings -> Settings -> Mobile Network -> Turn on VoLTE call
5. For users with Dual SIM handsets, Idea SIM should be inserted in the SIM slot with data capability and network mode as “4G” or “LTE”. Follow these steps to enable the same – Settings -> Sim networks -> Preferred network type -> “4G” or “LTE”
Settings may differ from one handset manufacturer to another. In case you need assistance, please call 12345.
Do I need a special pack to use VoLTE?
Is VoLTE available in my location?
I am a dual SIM customer. Can I still use VoLTE?
Upon verification of the above, the handset should show 4G with HD/VoLTE icon on top bar of the screen, indicating that the device is ready for VoLTE calls.
I am calling a friend who doesn’t have a VoLTE supported handset, can I still make VoLTE calls to him/her?
Can I make a call and browse internet at the same time while using VoLTE services?
Is signal strength critical to VoLTE services?
How do I set my APN for accessing Idea VoLTE services?
Will I be able to make video calls via VoLTE?
Can I use VoLTE while on roaming (National / International)?
International Roaming: No, Idea VoLTE services are not available on International Roaming.