Installing a printer in Windows 10 PC/ Laptop is as easy as 1-2-3, especially if the printer model is new. All you have to do is connect the printer to one of the USB port and Windows will automatically set it for you. But sometimes Windows 10 fails to recognize the printer. One reason is that the printer is too old for Windows to recognize and install the correct driver. In such scenario, you will have to manually install the printer driver. So lets begin with this simple tutorial.
- Printer connected to the laptop/ PC
- Driver of the respective printer (You can easily find this on the manufacturers website)
- The printer driver must be a zip file. Extract the contents to location where you can find it. See guide.
- We will be installing HP LaserJet 1015 throughout this tutorial
Install any printer manually in Windows 10
- Connect the printer and wait for Windows to recognize
- Go to Settings-> Devices-> Printers and Scanners and click “Add a printer or scanner” option
- Now Windows will begin scanning for printers. Wait for few seconds and you will see a message “The printer that I want isn’t listed”. Click on that message.
- A setup wizard will pop up. Select “Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings” and click next
- We will use an existing port. You can change the port or create a new port. Click next.
- Now a list of printer manufacturer and their devices will be shown. Double click on the printer of your choice and go to step 10. In case you don’t find the desired brand or model click Have disk.
- Select browse
- Locate the .inf file in your printer driver folder and click open. Now click Ok
- A list of printers will be shown. Select the desired printer and click next.
- Give a suitable name and click next.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- A sharing screen will open. Enable it if you want to share the printer on a network. Click next
- Print a test page to verify if everything has been installed correctly.
Great! Now you can start using the printer. This method will work even on oldest of old printers. All you need is the zip driver of that printer.
Found this guide useful? Like and share this guide with your friends.