It’s not even a week since the launch of Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 and Developers at XDA have already released Official TWRP. By unlocking the bootloader you can flash a custom recovery and install any custom ROM of your choice. Lets find out how to unlock bootloader of Redmi Note 5/ Plus.
We are not responsible if you brick your device. Take a proper backup before proceeding with these steps.
Step 1:Visit MiUi forums
Goto: http://en.miui.com/unlock/ and follow the steps there to apply for unlocking. This requires creating a MIUI forum account and entering a mobile number on which you will receive your approval. This number does NOT need to be the number you are going to use on your Redmi 5 Plus. As long as you create a MI account and hang on to that, you’re good.
Getting the approval might take a while. The best way to check if your approval has been passed is to regularly revisit http://en.miui.com/unlock/ (while logged in with your forum account) until the page changes on opening to one that allows you to download the unlock client app
Note: If you have problems binding your account on step 1, use PlexVPN, setting the connection to a China location, or use the attached APK vpn service.
Step 2: Check which version and build of MiUi your device is running.
Basically, the following ‘states’ are possible:
- China Stable Rom
- Official Global Stable
- ‘Fake’ Global, locked bootloader
- ‘Fake’ Global, Unlocked bootloader; If you are part of these happy few, go directly to step 4.
If you are on option 3 then you will need to flash to the China dev rom: Which can be found here: http://bigota.d.miui.com/8.2.1/vince…bd9ee1a88a.tgz This needs to be done via the so called ‘Test point method’, and it is the only way to do it (as of now).
Information on how to do this you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVG3Ip6UPGE.
Step 3: Binding account and unlocking:
- After you’ve applied and received unlock permission from MIUI you can use the account to sign into your Mi-Account on your phone.
- First though, we need to establish if you need to do additional steps, so hold on to this for now.
- Enable “Developer options” on your device by tapping few times on MIUI version. Go to “Developer options” and enable “OEM Unlocking”, then go to “Mi Unlock Status” and tap on “Add account and device”.
- Download and install the latest version of MiFlashUnlock from this page and install it on your PC(unlocking with MiUnlock 1.x version won’t work).
- Install MiFlashUnlock, open it and press “Agree” button, sign into your Mi-account.
- Turn off your phone completely and start it in fastboot mode. Press “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons at the same time until fastboot logo appear on the screen. Connect your phone to PC in fastboot mode and press “Unlock” button.
- And now this is where it gets a bit silly. You most likely will be confronted with a wait time between 72 and 360 hours. There is currently no way around this and you have to sit it out.
Once the time has passed, you can unlock your phone and are ready to flash TWRP and be a happy camper.
We haven’t tested this method yet, but if someone succeeds let us know in the comments